[Ansteorra] Member or Not?

Lisa A. May maaggie1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 08:38:06 PST 2008

I have to weigh in here.  The SCA is at no legal liability because of
how it sells its memberships.  Membership in any non-profit company
organized in California is governed by the articles and bylaws of
that company, and the articles and bylaws of the SCA clearly state
that membership is also governed by the laws of the Kingdom in which
you reside.  From a legal perspective, all the information a
prospective member needs to determine what her rights and obligations
will be as a member are provided on the various web sites, so one
cannot claim that it was not made available.  Whether or not the
prospective member chooses to read the documents, whether or not the
documents are clearly understood, they are available before
membership is actually purchased, and each prospective member has all
the time he or she could possibly need to read, consult, and
understand what the documents mean.  There is no bait and switch
going on here - the membership page simply lays out how much it costs
and names one benefit of membership.  If the prospective member wants
to know more about what benefits membership conveys, he or she can
always read the governing documents of the company and of the branch
(kingdom).  If the prospective member doesn't clearly understand what
she reads, she can seek clarification from the branch's legal
representative (the seneschal).  Legally, the SCA is doing everything
it needs to do with respect to offering memberships online.

Maggie

Countess Margaret ny Connor
Barony of the Steppes
Kingdom of Ansteorra

And do as adversaries do in law; strive mightily, then eat and drink
as friends (Wm. Shakespeare)