[Ansteorra] Member or Not?

Rose & Chad love at roseandchad.net
Thu Jan 10 12:15:28 PST 2008

RGF <rgf44 at att.net> wrote:
  Read the SCA U.S. membership application, under membership types it defines
subscribing and none subscribing.  But it doesn't on the purchasing site. That's my point. People who purchased on-line were unintentionally promised things that were not otherwise promised. How hard is it to say, 'Oh, crap, you know, it doesn't say that. Let's get that changed and an additional line of disclaimer text entered post haste.'?

  Failure to know the law is a phrase used in connection with every citizen's obligation to know the laws of thier area. That is an entirely different kettle of fish than a misleading advertisement for membership sales. That is covered by the FTC in favor of the consumer.

  The fact is that the pages that explain and sell memberships on-line is faulty. Selling things on the Internet is not the same as selling something from a brick-and-mortar store. In a brick-and-mortar store, Caveat Emptor (Did I spell that right?) is the rule. On the Internet, it is the exception.

  I both manage (part-time now, thank God) a local brick-and-mortar jewelry store, and I own a website design business. I started out several years ago just making a page for the jewelry store, and we discovered that Internet sales and brick-and-mortar sales are not the same. We had to consult attorneys to find out what needed to be done on-line, and how it differed from regular retail sales. And, boy, did it differ.

  I think that most people just don't grasp that difference. And I don't feel that the SCA is intentionally pulling a bait-and-switch, either. I think that people at SCA, Inc. don't realize that they aren't including our Kingdom's membership difference on those pages. Those pages do mention that a membership is required in some places to receive awards or to hold office. So they mention other Kingdom's differences. However, it stops short from saying that memberships can differ in different areas, and it should also suggest checking with your local officers.

  The site is legally in the wrong. If you disagree with that, please e-mail me off the list and I will e-mail you the FTC regulations regarding Internet sales that are pertinent to this thread and the links to finding them in thier entirety so you know I'm not taking them out of context. :)

  R the O