[Ansteorra] Sustaining vs Subscribing

Sher M runa.herd at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 10 21:48:21 PST 2008

Thought for the day:  If we are trying to get 'membership' up then why
penalize younger people (fresh out of High School, in college, in the
military), younger couples wanting to participate but having to budget every
thing in their lives including the amount of paper allowed weekly in the
privy, families with children who outgrow their clothing while they are
sleeping, people on fixed incomes (those are just the ones that immediately
popped into the remains of my elderly brain).

I understand that someone who has just joined the SCA should learn more
about the inner workings before being allowed to hold an office.  I have
held offices in many professional organizations and trust me, they are
basically not that different from SCA offices.  I'm not sure that I would
even be allowed to be a Deputy to an office holder because of the one year
rule.

It seems like it would not take that much effort to make a short and concise
notation online (which I'm guessing is where most people sign up and/or
renew) to let people know Sustaining means you have more "rights" than an
Associate or Family membership.  This would be much better than trying to
find information buried on page 54 of 64, etc.  I read as much as I could
stand on the SCA site until my eyes started crossing before I signed up plus
spoke with other members and being greedy I didn't want to share my Black
Star so I got the Sustaining when I could have signed up as an Associate (I
have 2 houses on one piece of land that at the time had the same address).

I would have used the Oxford Dictionary version but did not want to be
typing all night long.

 American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
      sus·tain       (s?-stan')
      tr.v.   sus·tained, sus·tain·ing, sus·tains

        1.. To keep in existence; maintain.
        2.. To supply with necessities or nourishment; provide for.
        3.. To support from below; keep from falling or sinking; prop.
        4.. To support the spirits, vitality, or resolution of; encourage.
        5.. To bear up under; withstand: can't sustain the blistering heat.
        6.. To experience or suffer: sustained a fatal injury.
        7.. To affirm the validity of: The judge has sustained the
prosecutor's objection.
        8.. To prove or corroborate; confirm.
        9.. To keep up (a joke or assumed role, for example) competently.

      [Middle English sustenen, from Old French sustenir, from Latin
 sustinere : sub-, from below; see sub- + tenere, to hold; see ten- in
 Indo-European roots.]

      sus·tain'a·bil'i·ty n., sus·tain'a·ble adj., sus·tain'er n.,
 sus·tain'ment n.

 sub scribe      /s?b'skra?b/ - [suhb-skrahyb]  -
 verb, -scribed, -scrib·ing.
 -verb (used with object)
      1. to pledge, as by signing an agreement, to give or pay (a sum of
money) as a contribution, gift, or investment: He subscribed $6,000 for the
new church.
      2. to give or pay in fulfillment of such a pledge.
      3. to append one's signature or mark to (a document), as in approval
or attestation of its contents.
      4. to attest by or as by signing.
      5. to append, as one's signature, at the bottom of a document or the
like; sign.
      6. to agree or assent to.

-verb (used without object)
      7. to pledge, as by signing an agreement, to  give or pay money as a
contribution, gift, or investment.
      8. to give or pay money in fulfillment of such a pledge.
      9. to obtain a subscription to a magazine, newspaper, etc.
      10. to give one's consent; sanction: I will not subscribe to popular
fallacies.
      11. to sign one's name to a document.
      12. to give approval to the contents of a document by signing one's
name.

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [Origin: 1375-1425; late ME subscriben < L subscribere, equiv. to sub- sub- + scribere to write] -Related forms sub·scrib·a·ble, adjective sub·scrib·er·ship, noun      . American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This sub·scribe (s?b-skrib')      v.   sub·scribed, sub·scrib·ing, sub·scribes      v.   tr.        1.. To pledge or contribute (a sum of money).        2.. To sign (one's name) at the end of a document.        3.. To sign one's name to in attestation, testimony, or consent:subscribe a will.        4.. To authorize (someone) to receive or access electronic texts orservices, especially over the Internet.      v.   intr.        1.. To contract to receive and pay for a certain number of issues ofa publication, for tickets to a series of events or performances, or for             a utility service, for example.        2.. To receive or be allowed to access electronic texts or servicesby subscription.        3.. To promise to pay or contribute money: subscribe to a charity.        4.. To feel or express hearty approval: I subscribe to your opinion. See Synonyms at assent.        6.. To sign one's name.        7.. To affix one's signature to a document as a witness or to showconsent.      [Middle English subscriben, to sign, from Latin subscribere : sub-, sub- + scribere, to write; see skribh- in Indo-European roots.]      sub·scrib'er n.  Main Entry: sub·scribe Pronunciation: s&b-'skrIb Function: verb Inflected Forms: sub·scribed; sub·scrib·ing Etymology: Latin subscribere, literally, to write beneath, from sub- under+  scribere to write transitive verb1 : to write (one's name) underneath or at the end of a document <we nowsubscribe our names as witnesses -W. M. McGovern, Junior et al.>2 a : to sign (as a document) with one's own hand in token of consent,obligation, or attestation <such witnesses shall subscribe the will in the presence of the testator -West Virginia Code>  b : to pledge (a gift or contribution) by writing one's name with theamount c : to sell (stock) by subscription <over two million shares havebeen subscribed>intransitive verb1 : to sign one's name to a document; also : to give consent or approval bysigning one's name2 : to agree to purchase and pay for securities esp. of a new offering <aright to subscribe to a share of stock -D. Q. Posin -sub·scrib·ernoun subscribing subscribe Runa of the Thundering Herd http://thethunderingherd.net/Kill More Trees - Have Everyone Change to a Sustaining Membership