[Ansteorra] brass hats

Goldweard goldweard at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 13 19:52:01 PST 2008

Willow,

While I do agree with you in that some people  take the  SCA way too seriously, I do not feel that  it is wholly wrong to adopt some of the romanticized ideals into our daily life.  It would be nice to see chivalry as we walk through a store, or the idea of defending those who suffer under oppression.  Again these ideals are not  historically  accurate .  People in period had the same flaws and failings as we do today.  Corruption bad as it is now.  But there is good in life today as there was then.  We should strive for what is the good and right thing to do.

We should also understand that people in positions of authority or reverence make mistakes too.  We should not quickly condemn someone for making a rash or harsh decision.  there is good and ill in all of us.  We should look not at a specific action, but at the general character of the person who we are judging.  If a person's actions are generally harsh and cruel, we should do all that we can to stop them.  but if a person  who normally is kind and generous makes a single mistake, or has personal difficulties in their life, we should not throw them to the wolves.

Goldweard

I don't' think I am to upset about the term Brass hats because most of
 us wear brass. I think it might be a good reminder that we are make
 believe nobility existing in the "historical reality" of a mundane club.
 When we are working in the organization the SCA our hats really don't
 mean a thing. Of all the "brass hats" only the Crown is also an officer
 with powers.
I think people are taking the SCA to seriously. It is a club to study
 history and have fun and learn. It is not a life style or and religion
 or life code. When we make it into something deeper than a way to study
 history we can fall into many traps
The first one being , the SCA as a life style. When the SCA becomes a
 way of life then there is no difference between our mundane life and our
 society life and our life in the recreation game. When that happens
 people start judging our behavior in everyday life. For example many
 people have had problems in their marriages. In the game of the Kingdom of
 Ansteorra this is not proper for us to comment on because these things
 fall into people's private mundane life. It is also improper to
 involved these thing into the running of the Mundane organization the SCA. But
 if we are talking about a code of life or "living the SCA" we are
 talking about applying this code to everything we do. I personally have
 fought against this. I think when we expect  peers and nobles to live up
 to medieval values in their private life then we have gone too far.
I think we need to go back to stressing history and recreation of
 pre-17th century events as a way of studying history and get out of the
 philosophy business.
willow