[Ansteorra] Pay-2-play, Pay-2-fight, Pay-2-whatever...

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Mon Jan 14 05:52:27 PST 2008

Peronnelle responded to Tivar:

> I've never heard anyone advocating pay-to-play without some sort of
> try-before-you-buy.  I belong to a modern embroiderer's guild; the
> organization allows newcomers to attend three meetings before they are
> asked to pay a membership fee.  The SCA could provide a means for
> newcomers to check us out before having to pay a membership fee.

What's the point to trying to find a way to reduce the bad effects of a bad
policy?

If you want a newsletter but not to go to Gulf War, you pay for a
newsletter and no Gulf War fee.  If you want to go to Gulf War but don't
want a newsletter, buy a membership and no Gulf War site fee.  Don't tell
either person they have to buy what they don't want in order to buy what
they want.

If we want more people to buy memberships, we should try to make membership
carry more value, not try to make non-membership carry less value.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin