[Ansteorra] What was your favorite event?

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Mon Jan 14 13:37:39 PST 2008

I can't name a single event that was my "favorite event" although I suspect
that, given time, I could probably name fifty.

But I think my real favorite event at any given time is the next one.
Right now that's Vanessa's Queen's Champion.

I will swear the Legion oath to the Queen, and hear her return oath of love
and loyalty.  I will fence with Mistress Serena's favor, for the honor of
Queen Vanessa.  I will treat my opponents with honor, trying to win with
humility or lose with grace.  I will accept the challenge of fighting in
Queen's Champion with an injured leg.  I will watch my cadets, Mistress
Rhiannon and Lord Dyryke.  I will be an Elizabethan.  I will be an
Ansteorran.  I will share the joy of period fencing with the entire rapier
community.  I will attempt to defend the Iron Star against all comers, with
Don Yngwe, HL Rixende, Lord Dyryke and Lord Uilliac.  I will "stand in the
strife, to hazard my life, for a glance from Her Majesty's eyes".

I will watch the banners flying in the breeze.  I will admire the ladies'
beautiful dresses.  I will drink toasts.  I will listen to the call of the
heralds.  I will carry some lady's basket.  I will help train some fencers.
I will marshal so others can fence.  I will herald, if needed.  I will
listen to somebody who needs to talk.  I will flirt with the list mistress.
I will watch for noble deeds to mention to the Crown or extol in poem.  I
will perform, if there's time.  I will attend the court, and cheer the
people who have earned awards.  I will yell "Vivat Regina! Vivat Rex!
Vivat Ansteorra!"

I will believe.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin