[Ansteorra] [Southern] CLOSED MEETINGS

Laetitia laetitia at doverkeep.com
Mon Jan 14 14:49:54 PST 2008

At 08:42 AM 1/14/2008, Jean Paul de Sens wrote:
>Honestly, in my experience it's not transparency as much as simplicity that
>makes it benificial to have these meetings closed.  The GOofS talk and
>correspond with each other quite a bit, but there is some face to face stuff
>that needs to be discussed.  An hour before the day *is* enough time to get
>it done, but not if we are asked a lot of questions by people who are
>interested in delving into the details. The things that are discussed are
>the same one discussed at the meeting later in the day.

An open meeting does *not* necessarily mean that people can ask
questions, just that they can attend, listen and observe the
meetings. In approximately 15 years on one TEO Board of Directors or
another we have had two closed meetings, both dealing with a
potential lawsuit. At other meetings we have discussed finances,
discussed named people to be barred from events for unacceptable
behavior, discussed discipline of officers and staff, and any number
of  other less than pleasant things. At no time were we required to
let any of the people listening actually participate in the
discussion unless the board chair chose to let them or if they had
requested a place on the meeting agenda prior to the meeting.

>If state law (Texas or Oklahoma) does require open meetings, I'd be
>interested to know.  My research a decade or so ago in OK makes me think
>that you can have closed meetings so long as you are not the government.
>There are a buncha caveats, but that was the basic.

I think the question should be *can* you have closed meetings but
*should* you. The more you do behind closed doors the more the
populace is going to distrust your decision making process. This
statement alone "because of sensitive topics that are not and should
not be discussed in an open venue." by the Kingdom Seneschal is going
to fuel the rumor mill and cause far more inconvenience for the
kingdom and its officers than a few people listening and maybe asking
a question of two every would have caused.

YMMV,
Laetitia