[Ansteorra] Ansteorra Digest, Vol 21, Issue 68

Faelan Caimbeul faelancaimbeul at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 18:03:40 PST 2008

> Let's consider, for a moment, if the officers have to discuss the check someone wrote that bounced and what to do about that...

Then don't disclose the account number(s) of the person(s) concerned.
>   The kingdom officers do not have closed door sessions to plot misdeeds...they are usually trying to save reputations and feelings...OR they are trying to keep people who really do not have access to all the facts from bogging down a discussion.

The purpose of the discussion is to get all the facts out, isn't it?

> It is obviously not about transparency if the proceeding are closed.  As I indicated earlier.  It may be more convenient for the officials involved.  And the end product may be "presented" to the public later.  It is still a very poor business practice for a non-profit organization.  You can announce that no questions or comments will be allowed from non-GOofS members.  Even have a "Sargent at Arms" to enforce the no questions rule.  But at least the process is held in the open where all of the discussion and arguments can be seen.  Otherwise you will always have the suspicion of "What were you hiding?"

Well said, and absolutely true. From what I've gathered about the whole
western region "solution", the main problem is not that people
necessarily disagree with the decision (there are those that do of
course), but disagree with the "plotting behind closed doors." Having
everyone there that wishes to be keeps this from happening. I've noticed
a lot of people taking offense at the closed door sessions and this is
getting people's imaginations going. That is causing a lot of undue
problems. Frankly, it's in the BOD's and the society's best interests to
keep things as open as possible.

> We may be trying to re-create a medieval setting where sovereigns and landed nobility could make decisions affecting the population at large, without concern about informing the populace of the decision-making process.  The reality of the situation is that we are a member-supported organization.  As much as the crowns and nobles might wish, they cannot have irritating elements of the populace sanctioned for disagreeing with them.  Convenience, expediency, and officer comfort aside, as members we have a right to know what is being discussed and why.

Also remember, the lack of representation and transparency led to the
downfall of many monarchies.

 Faelan