[Ansteorra] The evolution of meetings

Lori Campbell countesskat at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 15 13:16:00 PST 2008

> Then don't publish the scheduling meeting at all and don't call it a
> "closed meeting", just tell the people that need to be there, and
> have it.
> Faelan

I've been thinking this since this discussion started. :) In fact, we
used to do that very thing back in the "old days" (not the REALLY old
days when Robin was young, but back when *I* was...). Most of the time
we called those meetings "breakfast" - sometimes even "lunch" "dinner"
or even, in a pinch, "coffee."

Having closed GOofS meetings (akin to the BOD's special closed
sessions) isn't a new topic. I remember discussing the idea back when
the outcome was that we didn't want even the *appearance* of secrecy.
In that world we determined that handling the static of discussing
sensitive topics in a low-attendance open meeting was preferrable to
handling the static generated when the entire world got wind of the
fact that we were having secretive closed meetings...

Over all the years I attended GOofS meetings I can recall only *one*
that was closed to the populace. It was completely justified and it was
not announced. Hopefully we aren't facing anything that awful again.

I have to laugh though. The idea of a closed meeting ensuring that the
topics of said meeting won't be public knowledge in an hour or two
afterward is...well...quite funny...

~ Kat MacLochlainn
"having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do..."