[Ansteorra] [Southern] CLOSED MEETINGS

Paul Foster sir.rhodri at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 19:17:37 PST 2008

While I rarely post to this (or any) list. I feel the need to do so now.

With apologies to Lord Hewart, business should not only be done, but should
manifestly and undoubtedly be seen to be done.  This is not for the benefit
of those conducting the business, but for those interested in the process of
business being conducted.  In this way they get to see how the Great
Officers interact with the Crown and how things get decided and done.  Most
are not that interested in what is actually done at all, except for those
few items that directly affect them, but in how it happens.

However over time, much of the business conducted at Red Tape is gone.  It
now consists of listening to reports and going to classes / information
dumps on various subjects.

Based on some discussions I have been having with Sir Jean Paul on this
subject, I have come to the conclusion that this closed meeting is not the
issue.  The issue is that 90% of the business has already been done BEFORE
Red Tape ever begins.  Most of the business, issues and discussion have
already happened over email and mail lists between the GOofS and Crown.
There are always some things that you don't want to put into writing but
need to be said, and for this exchange, I endorse using a closed meeting.

So the closed meeting is mostly a communications wrap-up to business that is
already completed via other communications.  For business to be seen to be
done, we are going to need a solution other than opening the closed meeting
to the populace.

Rhodri