[Ansteorra] What makes a favorite event?

Sir Ian Mac Baird ian_ksca at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 19 12:23:01 PST 2008

I think there is a difference in perception between us "Old timers" as compared to the "Newcomer." Seems to me that, to the newcomer. everything sparkles and has a euphoric sense of stepping back in time and finding a dream come true. We, as old timers, go to the event looking for the moment that will do the same thing for us. Autumn Melees last year, for example. We were fighting a field battle and I looked up and saw the Queen standing by herself facing a small contingent of opposing fighters. I ran across the field and fell in beside her. She acknowledged my presence and we proceeded to carry the fight to the opposition rather successfully. That was the moment that sparkled for me during that event. Now please understand that this was not the only good time during the event, but it was the one moment that transcended all else. I can think of several others over the past few years that were as exhilarating. Perhaps it is a matter of maturing in the game we play to the
 point we see it differently. Just a thought.

Sir Ian

Sher M <runa.herd at earthlink.net> wrote:

Willow de Wisp wrote:
 >I sort of hate talking favorite events because nothing I go to is like
those events anymore and it makes me unhappy to think of what we have lost.
>I was envious to hear Master Robin say he could believe. I haven't been
>able to believe in a long while.

I'm new (yes at my ripe old age) to SCA.  I grew up wanting to be a horse,
parents informed me it was impossible.  So then I wanted to be an Indian,
again parents said not gonna happen.  Then I found knights, dragons, castles
and so on and so forth at the age of 10 or so.  My sister's Barbie doll had
wonderful garb because I learned to sew when I was 8.  Barbie was even a
dragon at one point.  All of that without patterns, I had no clue what a
pattern was or that they even existed.

I've been here less than a year and have been to 2 events.  Might have made
more if one of my dogs wasn't seriously damaged (all better now but took
more than a Band-Aid and a kiss).  I'm still trying to figure things out but
that will come with time.  I've helped clean the kitchen for Defender and
was the best snake spotter they had.  I've already signed up to work the
gate in February.  May freeze but I think it will be fun, if you come and
see a very confused person please be nice, I've been known to bite.

I look around at everyone and even though I don't know them I feel a part of
the "group".  You don't have to know someone to speak with them.  You get to
see wondrous garb, tents, armor, people and hopefully no snakes (did I
mention I hate snakes?).  Perhaps I'm entering my second or third childhood
but I even enjoyed Bordermarch when the rain flowed through the floor of my
tent.  I just moved my bedding out of the water and went back to sleep.

Guess what I'm trying to say is until the day I die I will believe.  I'm
sewing again.  I'm going to learn to throw an axe.  I might even get back
into archery which I loved as a child.  Believing keeps me young and makes
me happy (sort of like Tinker Belle-there's no sparkle if you don't
believe).

Runa of the Thundering Herd (today it's Runa of The Thundering Horde because
they're being so bad)
http://thethunderingherd.net/