[Ansteorra] speaking of smalls...

Quill gray.quill at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 14:19:18 PST 2008

How many LARPers does it take to take down an angry Italian child armed with
a sword?
Quite a few it seems.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkirTaTwPBw&NR=1

But seriously, I'm not just spamming the list. I was wondering what the
attitude of the kingdom was toward children in general is. (This would be
anyone required to be accompanied with an over-21 at events.)
There are those who have them, and there are those who don't, those who
technically are and those who until recently /were/ children. I myself fall
somewhat into the latter category (no I don't, I was born old, it just took
everyone awhile to catch on) but more importantly to me, I have younger
brothers, (4, 8, and 16) who want to follow their "little big brother" to
events (I asked one of them what he thinks he wants to do - he said he wants
to be king, so look out people!), and I'd love to take them, but I'm curious
to know what kind of world they'd be entering.
So a couple things to think about in answering: what are your attitudes
toward children (especially those of other people)? What is there - in the
SCA or at any given event - for children to be involved in? What do we do to
not just make room for them in our dream, but make them a /part/ of it, and
make ourselves a part of their dream? And to those of you who were "born
into the Society"... what keeps you here?

((I know I'm going to regret this when I get inundated with responses; my
inbox is sore already.))
--
In service to The Dream and Dreamers all,
Cuillioc /|\ "Quill"

"It is said that the Devil never crossed the Tamar into Cornwall on account
of the well-known habit of Cornish women of putting everything into a pasty,
and that he was not sufficiently courageous to risk such a fate!"

-From the cookbook _Cornish Recipes Ancient and Modern_