[Ansteorra] Magic Moments

Susan swieland3 at austin.rr.com
Sun Jan 20 14:25:41 PST 2008

Jay Rudin wrote:
> Imagine two people watching the same fight:
>
> Person A: Look at that.  Sir John is wearing sneakers.  And Lord James's
> fighting technique is so mundane.
> Person B: Sir John is using Fiore de Liberi's longsword technique, and
> making it work!  And isn't Lord James's fluted armor stunning?
>
> 1. Who is focused on the 21st century, and who is focused on the period?
> 2. Who will encourage more people to do authentic things?
> 3. Who would you rather listen to?
> 4. Who is having more fun?
Robin, your missive reminded me of a one of my own, "you are there"
moments.  It was a Pennsic.  I was fighting in the main battle.  Barn &
Kat were Crown.  The "moment" was a culmination of several moments.  I
had never been in an army before.  But as we stood shoulder to shoulder
before the "Lay on" cannon was fired, there was a roar that began to
sound.  It started slowly and engulfed us like a wave.  Sword and shield
folks were yelling and beating their shields.  Spearmen were raising
weapons to the sky and yelling with excitement.  As I joined the
throng,  I had several memories pass through my mind;  the previous
evening when we all met with King Barn to discuss tactics;  having armor
inspection from Sir Baden;  reminders from Sir Kein to stay hydrated;
Then the boom from the cannon.  We followed Sir Kein who began running
across the field.  I wasn't Susan anymore and I had forgotten that I
didn't like to run.  I was Damaris of Greenhill, serving in the
Ansteorran Army and my goal was to help my comrades in arms, take the
hill.  Alas I was one of the expendable ones.  But the "moment" will
always be with me.

I don't remember if I even saw anything mundane.  I was in the
Ansteorran Army.  And I was proud to serve.  It was glorious.

Thanks for reminding me of that time.

Regards,
Mistress Damaris

--
Whatever it is you might think you have,
You have nothing to lose.