[Ansteorra] Children In The SCA

Kaitlan Roisendubh kaitlan_kiera at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 22 20:24:18 PST 2008

When I was a substitute teacher I loved teaching the kids.. but when they were bad and acted up the parents didn't care.. I hated that..

Needless to say the doctor said I couldn't teach anymore or I would stroke out..

I stay with My 16 year old and I know He is no angel.. unless he is sleeping... I would not just drop him off except at school or with his dorm parents.. that is just wrong.

Kaitlan

Judie Willey <littledragon0861 at gmail.com> wrote: I understand your frustration well, having been the Steppes MoC for almost 3
yrs now.
I have had parents literally dump their kids on me with out a thought for
whether they had to eat ( or whether I had to eat) as well as having a
parent scream at me at Warord last year because he was asked to control his
child who was skating in the hall.

I love teaching the kids...but the parents need to put in their time in the
Youth area as well...and pick up thier children at the end of the specified
event time.

Hadassah

On Jan 21, 2008 11:02 PM, Rose & Chad  wrote:

> Well, we've adequately covered teens in the SCA but not children. There
> are hardly any events for children under about 8 or so. My daughter loves
> boffer and anything else she can do in the SCA. She goes to our Barony's
> weekly Populace meeting and would love to participate if there were things
> to do. But there aren't.
>
>  I thought about teaching a children's class and I realized that the
> things I can do and am learning to do are not kid-friendly, such as
> iron-working and sailing. I can sit all day and lecture on pirates and
> merchanting in the 1500s but children like to do things with thier hands and
> bodies more than they like to listen to me drone on... :)
>
>  So, in the interest of sharing my love of history with my children, I
> decided to learn what children did with thier free time so we could do it
> and have a great time with history. And I found that children worked with
> thier *free* time. They did what thier parents did, whether it was tending
> animals and younger children, or leaning to sew and keep house for the more
> noble-born. But they had to have something to do for fun, right? I even went
> so far as to purchase several books on children and thier games in the
> medieval ages and was considering applying for our MoC spot, until last
> Samhain.
>
>  Samhain was kind of an in-between event because the BoD had not decided
> what changes they were going to make to our children's activities. So we
> weren't going to be able to have any activites for children at all. Then a
> woman volunteered to paint faces and organize a trick or treat, and to make
> sure that all the legalities were covered it was very, very, very *strongly*
> emphasized that *any* child that wanted to particpate in the trick 'o treat
> around the campsite had to have thier parents or similiar adult *with* them
> *the entire time*.
>
>  Not drop them off or pick them up but there with them. Not so hard as it
> was less than an hour from start to finish and it took place late in the
> day, when most of the adult activities were over. My children were with the
> grandparents (yay, happy dance, we have great relatives) but a friend of
> mine, who regularly swaps children with me, was feast-o-cratting and her
> spouse was getting in a last bit of archery time so I said I would stay with
> the two children through the activity, so they could participate.
>
>  Out of a minimum of a dozen children, there were three parents, including
> myself, that stayed with thier kids. Wow. That sucked. I could go on with
> this topic, like the time some strange woman ushered her children (three
> under the age of 7) into my cabin while I was calling in *my* children for a
> nap and expected me to watch her rude little buggers and make them nap.
> Without so much as looking my way or acknowleging my existance. And so on.
> But I won't because it just makes me angry and is over now anyway.

> [...]

Rebbe Hadassah Sarai bas Yossi
MoC Barony of Steppes

Dragon's Laire Ceramics
"dragon's breath to fire our kilns"

In a democracy it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes.