[Ansteorra] Pay-2-play, Pay-2-fight, Pay-2-whatever...

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 9 09:16:38 PST 2008

Jay Rudin wrote:
> "Play to register names"?  We do.  Name registration costs money to do, so
> the heralds quite reasonably charge for it.  But the marshals don't charge
> me for paperwork the heralds do.  The A&S ministers don't charge me for
> work the hearlds do.  Why should the BoD charge me for work the heralds do?

Just to further clarify, yes, we do pay to register heraldic
submissions, but (in Ansteorra) membership is not required in order to
submit items for registration.  Anyone can register names/armory, and
the cost for that is standard for members and non-members alike.

My interpretation of a "pay to play" approach, in this regard, would
mean that membership would be required before one could submit
names/armory for registration, in addition to whatever additional
processing fees the College of Arms/Heralds requires.  It also opens up
the avenue for a non-member surcharge applied to submission costs.  For
the record, I am not in favor of either of these options.

In service,
Alden