[Ansteorra] How to help the West

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 9 17:58:53 PST 2008

On Jan 9, 2008, at 2:11 PM, Elizabeth Blackthorne wrote:
> .If you have a talent you could teach, let us know so that we can
> set up a
> venue for you to do this.

I'm afraid that driving those distances from Bryn Gwlad continues to
be a problem for my lady and I, not even considering the increasing
cost of fuel.

I've yet to see any real explanation of what the recent Crown actions
were based on and how the problems with the Western Region might
differ from other groups in locations of low population density in
other kingdoms, such as Artemisia or Oretha. I'm assuming this has to
do with populous or officer numbers. I've often advised folks
thinking of starting a small group to consider a household, despite
their tendency to breed bad politics, instead of an official group
with a required slate of officers. Playing musical chairs among the
officers every time officer terms are up can lead to burnout.

Anyway, here are some files in the Florilegium which might be of use
to folks wishing to rebuild? the region.
sprd-out-grps-msg (10K) 12/27/01    Handling SCA groups spread over a
large area
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/sprd-out-grps-msg.html
households-msg    (34K)  7/ 3/05    Comments on households in the SCA.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/households-msg.html
recruiting-art    (16K)  7/13/02    "On the Recruiting and Retention
of New
                                         Members" by Lady Meliora
Leuedai de
                                         Ardescote.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/recruiting-art.html
recruitment-msg   (48K)  6/11/05    Recruitment ideas. bringing in
new members.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/recruitment-msg.html
fundraising-msg   (46K)  7/ 3/05    Fundraising ideas for SCA groups.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/fundraising-msg.html
new-groups-msg    (17K)  6/11/05    Procedures and advice on starting
new SCA
                                        groups.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/new-groups-msg.html

Stefan