[Ansteorra] Member or Not?

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 10 08:57:30 PST 2008

Salut cozyns,

Part of what confuses everyone over this matter of which memberships get counted in the populace tallies is the rule fluctuations in the last few years. As was noted earlier, Ansteorra was involved in the experiment under which every membership counted in the tallies. When the experiment ended, Ansteorra apparently reverted to counting only subscribing members. Shortly after the experiment, however, the SCA governing documents were changed to remove the adjective 'subscribing' from member requirements for local branch minimums. The Ansteorran Kingdom Law was not changed to match the SCA governing documents.

Master Pug's post makes it clear that he and Their Majesties have been interpreting the SCA governing document membership requirements as a minimum. As a kingdom, we are allowed to make our requirements more restrictive. Sir Burke posited his rebuttal of this interpretation earlier:

While we can make things more restrictive in some cases (like requiring that groups have more officers or greater membership counts) we can not countermand Society Law.  Preventing groups of members from counting would not be considered more restrictive but would be considered countermanding.
<<<<

Honestly, I can't see Sir Burke's point. If--by his admission--it would be okay to require greater membership counts, why is it not acceptable to require that greater membership count by counting only subscribing members?

In any case, does anyone know our rationale for retaining the subscribing member counting scheme? Did someone actually decide to leave the Kingdom Law that way based on a specific goal, or was it just an oversight that is being enforced simply because it's there?

 En Lyonel
Impedimentum via est
(The obstacle is the path)