[Ansteorra] Dissolutions..pop numbers..

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 11 18:17:15 PST 2008

Rose,

The Acting Kingdom Seneschal did state why...
in the first of the e-mails titled "Dissolutions..."

(copied from the Ansteorra archives...)

Good Morning,

  This weekend at Bonwicke 12th Night, Their Highnesses, Mistress Saundra
(Kingdom Exchequer), Baron Kainin (Kingdom Chronicler), and myself (Acting
Kingdom Seneschal) presented to and fielded questions from the populace of
the Western Region some very sad and heart-wrenching news. As has been
posted already, the Western Region and 5 of its Shires will be dissolved at
the upcoming Coronation. These groups will be polled in order to give
feedback on which group they want to be consolidated into and then which
region that larger group will be merged with.

  While there are many rumors flying around, this decision was not made my
any single individual and did not come lightly, quickly, nor in a void.
There have been issues with recruitment, retention, reporting and acceptable
officer applicant pools for years. This has been the case from the local
level through the regional offices.

  As was stated to these fine individuals, we weighed everything imaginable
in this decision including alternate solutions such as making the groups
cantons or moving them to different regions but nothing short of
consolidation solved the bigger picture issues. While the timing may appear
horrible on the surface, there is never a good time to relay news of this
magnitude and this allowed the most individuals affected to be present for
the discussion. As well, while we were not required to go to Bonwicke 12th
Night to discuss this with them since it will be read into law at
Coronation, we felt strongly that the people of the region deserved us to be
there in person to present the information and answer their questions.

  While it is sad news, there are hopes that something new can come out of
this. The members of the groups that choose to consolidate with Trelac will
be given time and encouragement to stabilize and work towards becoming a
Barony. This is the small silver lining in an otherwise ugly thundercloud.

  On a side-note, here is no reason that Gothic War can not continue as a
multi-group event. There is no reason that they can not hold their previous
events as local calendar events.

  This drastic decision is supported unanimously by the Crown and Great
Officers of State because we feel it is what is right for the kingdom. In
front of these people, I made a promise to them that if they can solve their
historical problems and reform, I will personally go to each group to thank
them and apologize for these actions taken against them.

  This news is hard on the entire kingdom, but most of all the almost 50
members of these groups being dissolved. They will have a hard road in front
of them, please show them your support and lend them your council.

In Service,
Master Phelim Gervase called Pug
Acting Kingdom Seneschal

Rose & Chad <love at roseandchad.net> wrote: In the end, though, why are we theorizing? Why can't whomever is in charge of that (The Kingdom Senech, I think, but could so be wrong) just say exactly what it was? Do they have to wait until Coronation to announce why or some such?

  Rose the Confused, rofl

ksullivan6 at cox.net wrote:
  One of the stated reasons for the dissolutions in the Western region was retention, so I went to look at the numbers for each region and the kingdom.here is what I found using the data I found on the seneschals web page.
over the last year each region had a net loss of population
Coastal lost .7% of their population
Southern lost 15%
Central lost 2.3%
Western lost 16.3 %
Northern lost 3.2%
Kingdom overall lost 125 members 3.2% of this 125 Southern lost 73 members Western lost only 22.
'07 v '05, 2 regions had a net gain while the other 3 had a net loss
Coastal gained 6.6%
Northern gained 4.6%
Southern lost 16.2%
Central lost 8%
Western lost 15.6 %
Kingdom lost 2.2%
Now as the Kingdom only counts subsribing members here are those numbers
'07 v '06
Central lost 3%
Coastal lost 2%
Northern gained 3%
Southern lost 13.3%
Western lost 14%
'07 v '05
Central gained 3.6%
Coastal lost 12.5%
Northern lost 2.7%
Southern lost18.9%
Western lost 22.1%
Also by the Kingdom regulations for population minimum requirements
as of 8/1/07 only 2 groups in the kingdom are below the minimum and neither of them are in the groups that are being sanctioned.
Over all it appears that most of the Kingdom has a problem with retention, and it appears by the numbers that Southern is in the same boat with Western, so why is Western being singled out?
--
Alix
Work hard,keep the ceremonies,live peaceably, and unite your hearts.