[Ansteorra] z xz

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jan 12 21:38:14 PST 2008

On Jan 11, 2008, at 6:19 PM, willowdewisp at juno.com wrote:

> Thank you about making the point that "fighters" do other things.
> As a Household of fighters I sometimes get a little upset when all
> the other activities I do are put against fighting.
> willow

But it is often the fighters who want fighting at every event. And if
an event doesn't have it, then they often won't attend. I've often
seen this for both armored and rapier fighters. Some will attend, no
matter whether there is fighting or not, but the numbers do go down.

Part of the problem is the tremendous number of different activities
which can down be done at an SCA event. We're doing a lot of things
we weren't when I joined, only 19 years ago. Equestrian activities
and jousting for instance. When you have so many different activities
at a single weekend event, it is hard to not have time conflicts.
Bryn Gwlad has been struggling with this the last few years,
particularly in regard to championships when there appear to be
baronial championships for every activity.

I don't have a good solution, other than individuals not trying to do
everything at every event. Or when organizing events, not try to have
an overwhelming number of different activities at the same event. The
latter also means less staff is needed to put on an event and eases
the, sometimes poor, volunteer turnout.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas