[Ansteorra] Transparency. was CLOSED MEETINGS

Robert Fitzmorgan fitzmorgan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 11:29:32 PST 2008

    So there are times when closed meeting are appropriate?  So who gets to
decide if this is one of those times?  I would suggest the people who have
the information and know what is going to be discussed are in a better
position to decide than those who do not know what is going to be
discussed.
    As someone who has held several offices, there have been times when I
was privy to other peoples private information, and I was obligated to
respect their confidence.  There have been several times when I had to
discuss with other officers things which cast some people in a bad light.  I
prefer to to do that in private when possible.
   Some things have to be handled in a private meeting.  Some things are
better handled in a private meeting.  And some things should be handled
publicly.
   That being said I feel that secrecy should be used sparingly.  My
experience in the SCA is that some people have a bad reaction to secrecy.
At times when some are feeling distrust of their leadership, secrecy can
often create more problems than it prevents.  It's always a judgement call.

Robert Fitzmorgan

--
"If you haven't found something strange during the day, it hasn't been much
of a day."     John A. Wheeler

Fitzmorgan at gmail.com
Yahoo IM: robert_fitzmorgan