[Ansteorra] A Real Anachronism

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Tue Jan 15 13:35:04 PST 2008

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 01:26:40PM -0800, Rose & Chad wrote:
> Now this is a real anachronism...
>
> Plague a growing but overlooked threat: study - Yahoo! News
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080115/sc_nm/plague_threat_dc

I seem to recall that the folks in the Western part of the US have a
few dozen plague cases per year, and that the "front" -- the edge of
the region from which plague cases are reported and/or plague-infected
critters are found -- is moving to the East a few kilometers per year.

I remember the advice from park rangers &c. when we were out in
Wyoming and Arizona: if you could get close enough to a rodent to feed
it, you shouldn't -- because it might be sick with plague and hence
unable to run fast, and a bite from one of the fleas it was carrying
would be A Bad Thing.

Modern antibiotics are still efficacious against Y. pestis, so far.

I'm more worried about hantavirus and its cousins, but plague -- and
especially plague that goes untreated for a few days -- is a real
threat.

--
Mike Andrews        /   Michael Fenwick    Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
mikea at mikea.ath.cx  /   Amateur Extra radio operator W5EGO