[Ansteorra] Nordsteorra

Tomas Niallagain siortomas at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 19:35:05 PST 2008

No Brian I certainly don't mind.  But using your own references,
specifically number 2 for regalia.

"2. the decorations, insignia, or ceremonial clothes of any office
or order."

Since I am a companion to the Order of the Star of Merit and the Order of
the Centurions of the Sable Star, the garters as you mentioned would
therefore be regalia as you have defined. Per those Orders constitutions,
the garters are insignia of  membership. Similarly, still using myself as an
example, the white belt and unadorned chain are insignia of 1 type of
membership in the Order of Chivalry.  This by your stated definition would
make them regalia as well.
   Since the word is used in the definitions of both words, heck that same
noted definition uses the word insignia in it as well, that does confuse the
issue a little, which is one of the reasons this is such an interesting
topic.  I think that the word Insignia is more general than Regalia, and
that while all Regalia is probably Insignia not all Insignia is Regalia.

Have I blurred the lines even more?

Sior Tomas
<title pending> Herald