[Ansteorra] Regalia vs. Insignia

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 12:12:27 PST 2008

At 12:27 PM 1/16/2008, you wrote:
>My POV is that insignia can be put on things, where regalia is put on
>(or held by) people.  The insignia for an office can be put on the
>stationary that officer uses, or on a broach.  The broach might be the
>regalia that officer wears.  Regalia however does not necessarily have
>to be adorned with the insignia of the office.

And while we're quibbling about language and spelling, "broach" means
to open something--such as a keg of beer--or possibly the tool used
to make a broach, or the opening itself. It can also mean to bring up
a subject for debate.

A "brooch" on the other hand, is an ornamental pin.

         -Tivar Moondragon
Sometime minion of the Word Police