[Ansteorra] Regalia vs. Insignia

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Fri Jan 18 09:59:21 PST 2008

Colin MacNachtan wrote:

> I agree.  "Dragon" is more jarring than "car".
>
> I prefer the word "vehicle".  It properly conveys the message of "what
> you
> rode in to get here" while allowing us to imagine the appropriate
> wagon/carriage/whatever fits our persona.

Yup.  The word "vehicle" now means any wheeled conveyance, period or
modern.  The only problem is that it isn't a period word itself.  It's
first documented in the OED from 1612 as a solvent.*  It isn't documented
as a wheeled conveyance until 1656.

But of course, we're speaking modern English.  As long as you don't tell a
stately and awe-inspiring king that's he's pompous and awful, "vehicle"
makes perfect sense.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin