[Ansteorra] children and teen activities in the SCA

Rose & Chad love at roseandchad.net
Sun Jan 20 07:36:03 PST 2008

When I was young I brought books. I found the SCA atmosphere a wonderful place for reading, esp. the fantasy genre. :) I recently saw a group on children (that have gotten all too old recently, they were prolly 8-13 age range) playing RPGs while their parents took classes. My son will watch the fighters happily *all day long*, although both of my older children prefer boffer to watching someone else. I do wish that there were more oppurtunities for boffer. I have only been to (or heard of) one event recently that offered the boffer authorizing class, and none that offer youth boffer activities. I'd be willing to drive if I saw one. I wonder how many people we have that can authorize or marshall that type of activity?

Mystique <Mystique at phulesgold.com> wrote:  We have been here for about 8 months now and have gone to 5 events.. only TWO
had anything for the over 10 crowd.. The small event of Quest for the Round
Table (I think is what it was called.. hosted by Tir Medoin) where only one
other kid showed up and my son was able to boffer fight. The other was
BrynGwlad's Baronial where there was youth fighting and archery.. my son won the
archery competition. HE SO WANTS TO FIGHT.. and here in the KINGDOM LANDS of the
Southern Region (middlford) we try desperately to keep him interested. He won't
even ATTEMPT to go to an event with us if there is nothing Youth set up.. like
Archery or Boffer. He is 12. He did come to BAM with us and he did find a few
kids his age to hang with but there was nothing for them to really do. And it
turns out they also boffer but there was none at the event.

My family has alot of hobbies.. SCA is just one of them.. and darn near all of
them the family does together.. we play Paintball, SCA, kids are in Scouts and
we are volunteer adults for scouts, we play role playing games .. and we all
enjoy them. But it seems the SCA is where our kids are losing interest. There is
never anything for them.

It's just a shame as we have tried and tried to get something going with the
other groups closest to us. They either don't even have youth activities or they
are having the problem of keeping them going.

Just my two cents.

Maire' O'Halowrane
Kingdom Lands