[Ansteorra] Magic Moments

SoldierGrrrl soldier.grrrl at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 10:13:52 PST 2008

On Jan 20, 2008 12:07 PM, Jay Rudin <rudin at ev1.net> wrote:

<gentle snip>

> But these moments happened because somebody believed, and made them happen.
> Anyone can do that now, and they do.

> It's too easy to complain that the rose bushes have thorns.  It's true, and
> we should do what we can to reduce their number.  But we will never finish
> that job, so it's important to remember, and focus on, the fact that all
> these thorn bushes have roses.
>
> There will *always* be something inappropriate in front of you.  There will
> often be something quite authentic in front of you.  Nobody concentrates on
> everything in their field of sight, so it is up to *you* to determine where
> your focus is.

> The next event you go to will have too many modern elements and not enough
> period ones.  But *you* will add to both totals.  Carry a lady's basket.
> Give honor to the crown.  Pour that beer into a mug.
>
> Too many cars at the field?  Help people unload.
> Discussions about computers?  Ask someone about the trim she's weaving.
> Too many modern shoes?  Look up.
> Mundane site?  Watch the banners flying in the wind.
> Bored with filk songs?  Stand up and perform a villanelle, and give prizes
> to the period pieces you hear.
> Too many complaints?  Compliment somebody on their costume.
>
> Sir Robert Baden-Powell, the first Baron Baden-Powell of Gilwell, left a
> final message to the Boy Scouts, found and opened after his death.  He
> wrote, in part: "But the real way to get happiness is by giving out
> happiness to other people.  Try to leave this world a little better than
> you found it, and when your turn comes to die, you can die happy in feeling
> that at any rate you have not wasted your time but have done your best."
>
> Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin

Well said, good sir!  If you are at Candlemas, might I have the honor
of thanking you in person?  If not, please know that you have touched
one person this fine morning and reminded me of what I truly wish to
see, and who I wish to be in the Society.

In service to the Dream,
Helena Dalassene

--
Blonde.  It's not just a hair color; it's a way of life.

http://soldiergrrrl.livejournal.com/