[Ansteorra] Events in the Last Five years

Cionaodh O'Hosey CionaodhOHosey at verizon.net
Sun Jan 20 21:21:53 PST 2008

On Jan 20, 2008, at 9:37 PM, Jean Paul de Sens wrote:

> I think I'm going to say what some others are thinking, but might be
> uncomfortable saying.  I think it's almost a dirty secret for
> someone to not
> think persona play is wonderful.

Persona play, like Beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. For me J.P.
plays the best J.P. I have ever seen and I cannot imagine any one
else playing a better J.P. So what makes good persona play? Bad
accents and modernized versions of period words? Bad attempts at
Victorian values shoved on to medieval times? How can we be
Ansteorran's and eleventh century Irish at the same time? Their
values were not the same. So we chose, do we play as an eleventh
century Irish man who would have never served a King his people did
not elect or or do we proudly serve the one who rules Ansteorra by
his own hand? Do I do as every other eleventh century Irish, paint
what ever I want on my shield or do I follow Heraldry rules
nonexistent for my persona? Face it most people's uncomfortableness
with persona play is they do not understand it, what it means and how
to do it. It also does not help that others use "that's not period"
or "that's not good persona play" to cover everything they personally
do not like but have no problem overlooking their own anachronisms.
How can one anachronism be any less a breach of the Dream than any
other? Like other's have said, our response to it, that is how. One
more thing for those who think it was done better in the past I need
to ask who was it that made it better back then and why did they not
teach the next generation how to do it better now?

Hosey