[Ansteorra] Events in the Last Five years

Melissa Baxter-Kosub mbaxter66 at satx.rr.com
Mon Jan 21 07:51:44 PST 2008

When I first started participating in the SCA the idea of high persona
events freaked me out.  I wouldn't go to one because I felt that I
wouldn't fit in or totally mess something up and be humiliated in front
of everyone.   So, when several years later someone told me that here in
Bjornsborg we had high persona events I stared at them like a deer in
headlights.  What?  We were just having fun and being silly.  Yeah,
sometimes the event called for emotional, passionate dialog between
personas but that was just us having a good time.  Then I realized that
it wasn't something scary.  High persona was the ability to play make
believe, adopt words and phrases that were not necessarily our own, and
be transported to another world.

Today, if I witness persona exchanges going on, I will stay to the back
and try not to intrude.  I am not good at the language part of it, but I
love to see the whole plan unfold.  I can go to the event, try to keep
modern issues and items in check and enjoy the magic that is being
created around me.  When I do try my hand at persona play I am who I am,
I just try to do it in a different manner.

High persona events are no longer scary to me.  They are actually
something I look forward to as I know that the magic that everyone seems
to be missing can be created there.  To give an example, the very first
event I attended was a Viking wedding.  During the course of the evening
I was scooped up by Master Ragnar and carried away.  He was "in persona"
and I was a bit shocked but quickly figured out what was going on.

YIS,
Lady Branwen