[Ansteorra] Events in the Last Five years

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Tue Jan 22 12:55:16 PST 2008

Duchess Willow asked

>  Has anyone had a persona moment in the last five years?

Goodness, yes.  These are from the last few months, when I haven't been
able to attend many events.

At Coronation I received the scarf from Queen Ebergardis and was released
from fealty, then pinned it on the new Queen Vanessa and swore my fealty to
her with all the White Scarves.  Both Queens were in tears.  The
re-creation of the Cult of Gloriana was as striking and heartfelt as it
always is.

Also at Coronation, I was able to be part of the presentation at feast of a
subtlety made by Mistress Rhiannon for King Aaron and Queen Vanessa.  It
was two cakes in the shape of the royal cushions.

Again at Coronation, when I attended the vigil of Mistress Elin, I was
given a spindle made by the hand of Lord Daniel de Cameron.  As a noble
should, I sought out Lord Daniel to praise his work.  I have no idea if it
felt like a persona moment for him, but it pleased him to be praised, which
was the point.

At Coronation, I watched with pride as King Aaron concluded a treaty with
King Palymar of the Midrealm to bring more warriors for the Ansteorran side
at Gulf War.

Perhaps nobody else would have seen this as a moment in persona, but near
the end of Coronation, Mistress Rhiannon was trying to get rid of a set of
chocolates made in the shapes of stars and roses.  She wanted to get back
to the kitchen, so I looked around, saw Lord Aridan and asked if he could
help a lady.  He jumped up, took the dish of chocolates, and started
handing them out.  I called on him because I knew that he would come if I
called and would jump at the chance to help.

At Twelfth Night I performed a new alliterative verse about a group of
Ansteorran warriors, watching their reaction as I described their battle
and heroism.  Afterwards, Master Airaklee and Sir Louis came over to me in
private and presented me with a pair of spurs, as a gift from two members
of the chivalry to the bard who had sung their praises.  The spurs are now
on display in the front room of my house.  The Baron of Elfsea came over
and presented me with a necklace, which I gave to my inspiration Mistress
Serena.

At court at Twelfth Night, Sir Tomas (as Elfsea's herald) and I (as
Steppes's herald) started court without the nobles, using the puppets they
had been given.  We were halfway through starting a war when Baron Daire,
Baroness Druinne and Baroness Katheryn came up and had their guards stop
us, and then court was held in all honor and dignity.  [Doesn't sound like
a persona moment?  To me, it was Robin once again performing Commedia
dell'Arte (Renaissance slapstick)in the masque of the zany Cocochino.]

At Kingdom Eisteddfod, I watched in awe as Master Ihon performing a piece
by John Skelton, and saw his praise piece for our hosts of Dragonsfire Tor.
Also I received a presentation of Lady Merrin performing a piece in my
honor.   She performed with joy and love (and tears), and I felt honored
and touched.

There were several other magic moments at Eisteddfod, as always.  Vyolante
(Adelina) sang Darius's "Just One Time".  Lady Nyx performed an
alliterative work called "Ansteorra Still Stands".  HL Mea sang a beautiful
Italian piece, and "Johnny Be Fair".  Lady Maggie told the story of Mulan
and pulled us in so well that I never thought about the Disney movie.  Lady
Bella sang a lovely song, sufficiently compelling that I have no notes on
it.  But I have a very strong memory of the repeated line "And none knew
she loved him but herself and God."  Then Lucas ripped our hearts out with
a tale about a water-bearer.  Really.  Ask him for it sometime.  Bring a
hankie.  Bring two.  Rosia, who I don't know well, sang a wonderfully
poignant war song -- "I'll have the honor of a warrior's death."  Then she
sang about the same situation from the lady's viewpoint.  Baron Donnchad
... ummm Duncan ... no, that is, ah, wait, I can spell this ...
Donchhadd... I mean, er, ....  (I'll come in again.)

The Baron of Namron sang Ivar's "Raised as a Warrior", pulling us at once
into the mind of a medieval warrior and into the early days of Ansteorran
bardcraft.  (Ivar was one of the first two to receive a Sable Thistle for
performing arts, and is the second Lion of Ansteorra.)

HL Rixende presented a new cloak for the Premier Bard, which was beautiful
and fitting.  The presentation was sincere and meaningful.

One truly authentic-feeling moment happened at Three Kings on the field.
In the final fencing melee, I was trying to make an alliance, and met with
a stern warrior, focused on his battle.  He turned to me and said, "Three
times one army has attacked mine in the back, and they will feel my wrath."
For one brief moment, the battle was real.

At Three Kings, I had a great exchange, being treated with honor and
dignity by my opponent Lord Brian ui William when he and I were the last
two fighters in the defense of the Iron Star.

Also at Three Kings, I performed a piece in praise of the Saxon bard Master
Cedric, in the Saxon alliterative style.  Not a terribly long or deep
piece, it nonetheless seemed to draw people in.  I believed, and they
believed.

Don Ingwe, HL Rixende, Lord Dyryke, Lord Uilliac and I formed a melee team
specifically to go to Namron and win back the Iron Star from the
Calontirans.  It was a decision based purely on kingdom honor.  And we won,
and brought the Star home.

Late Friday night at Namron, I was walking through the field, looked up and
saw the constellation Aquila.  The eagle with wings outspread was rising,
with its brightest star Altair front and center.  While I've known the
constellations since I was a teenager, this was the first time I saw it as
an eagle with a star on its chest, rising over an Ansteorran list field,
and it felt like I was looking at the Centurions' own constellation.  I was
Robin of Gilwell, Centurion, on the field looking into the heavens for
inspiration for tomorrow's tourney.

Also at Namron, I watched the final fight between Baron Elric and my cadet
Lord Dyryke.  I was fascinated by the fighting, cheering for my student,
and caught up in the joys of Namron Protectorate, remembering the first
fencing Protectorate won by Master Pepin for Baroness Gwyneth.  (Elric won.
Oh, well.  Not the point.)

At Elfsea Defender, I watched as my baroness played the gracious hostess at
the breakfast cooked by Count Gunthar and Lady Elizabeth.  The whole
morning was a great opening to the event that was fun, expansive and
gracious.  I saw flirting, politicking, and many other authentic activities
as almost everyone on sight came together before court, for the first time
in years.

Later at Elfsea Defender, I listened to Lindsay perform my poem "The Baron"
for me and my pavilion.

Also at Elfsea, we were finally able to complete the transfer of the
College of Bards badge to Ansteorran bards in general.  That night, Duchess
Willow and I were able to play the gracious nobles, giving out several mugs
with the badge to bards who had never been able to use the badge before.

At fencing practice last month, I pulled a groin muscle.  I have been
working for a month, practicing fighting from a chair, because this weekend
at Queen's Champion, I **WILL** fight for Queen Vanessa.  At each practice,
I feel very much the aging Elizabethan warrior still preparing to serve his
queen, with authentically aching legs.

The truth is, it's kind of fun to be Robin of Gilwell, and I seek out the
chance whenever possible.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin