[Ansteorra] Events in the Last Five years

Richard Morgan rmorgan at satx.rr.com
Sat Jan 26 16:00:41 PST 2008

Sir Jean Paul,

    I am sure that there are many others like you who are uncomfortable
with, put off by, or somewhat creeped out by role-playing and "high persona"
events. I think that some of this might come from situations where the
individuals, or the event, involved more of an acting or somewhat staged
method of trying to create a period atmosphere. This can appear very
unnatural and even silly in some instances. There have been events and
instances where I have become so embarrassed for the individuals trying this
method that I have just had to leave. One of the best "high persona" players
that I ever met taught almost all of us old time Bjornsborgers that the best
and most fun persona players are not acting. They are being themselves, just
from another time and place. So, playing persona is easy, it just takes a
little thought and some research, which you probably have already done. Ask
yourself, who would you be and how would you behave if you were from ______
place and _____time? The key element here is, no fantasies, pick something
that YOU truly could have been in that time and place. It also helps when
you are physically believable as your persona. Please no 250 lb body
builders as effete courtly sycophants. It is not only wrong it is scary.
Then extrapolate backwards in time, the things and events that make you who
you are today, to the time and place that you want to play. Please do not
recite these events, they are for context only! Then, conduct yourself
normally; just interact with others from your own historical and
geographical viewpoint. This simple method is the one that I have seen used
by many of the greatest Lions of Ansteorra. This is what they are doing when
they play persona. I can guarantee that Ragnar, Mari, Jan, Godwin and
Ricardo were not acting, they were just being themselves, albeit sometimes a
bit larger than normal, but themselves none the less. By the way, I am sure
that you are a great role-player when you are being you.

Sir Richard ap Morgan