[Ansteorra] hoop petticoat

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jan 29 22:23:15 PST 2008

Runa of the Thundering Herd asked:
<<< I don't know your age but did you have to learn how to sit
properly in a
hoop petticoat?  Lord love a duck... first time I sat down in one it
went
over my head and I thought Miss Pat was going to have a stroke!>>>

No, I can't say I have. :-)

So, what is the trick to sitting down in one of those? I assume these
are very much like the hoop skirts used late in our period of study.
Or are these like the medieval corset and the Victorian corset?
Similar, but having major differences in their construction and how
they were worn?

Stefan

Just in case someone is interested:
corsets-msg       (64K)  5/ 6/07    Tudor and Elizabethan corsets.
making them.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/corsets-msg.html
hoops-msg         (20K)  1/23/08    Period and SCA hoopskirts. Hoop
sources.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/hoops-msg.html
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas