[Ansteorra] Group Status Changes

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Tue Jul 15 23:38:30 PDT 2008

Dear Lorraine
While i think a good officer system is important I  also believe that an informed populace really does stop more problems than it starts. A balance is needed for a well working group.
The first is a matter of practicality. As a volunteer group our populace is supposed to step up an take on jobs. Modern young adults don't like to volunteer for jobs that they do not know what they entail. Open discussion of what reports entails and examples of reports that are being sent along with real feedback help people understand what would be expected of them if they volunteer. Secret meetings and codes of silence just make people anxious about taking an office.
The same is true of Autocrats. Open commentary allows people to talk about problems and how to solve them. As far as I know we don't do any thing that requires mystery.
I am afraid that sometimes we are too polite. It is good to start with positive statement but sometime people only hear the first statement.. For example someone is told that there may be problems with their group. The officers contacts his/hers superior and asked,"Are we doing everything properly?" The officer trying to be positive with the statement " You are find according to kingdom Law. But I am concerned about your group activities."  Or "I am concerned about your reporting  or anything. The problem is that the individual never listened to the concerns. Tthey stopped listening with "you are legal". When it is something serious the officers need to be told very clearly that need to fix things.  We need a heads up marker and code that is taught to every new local officer that tells them that they need to fix something and there is no doubt about it.
Also to make a group really work everyone needs to be invested in the group. Sometime individuals get busy with their own projects but if a group is having serious problem that threaten their existence then I think the whole group should be told so individuals could step up and help.
Yes there are people who do think and people that would just get in the way but their are also a lot of capable people who can help.
willow