[Ansteorra] "We know you're wishin' that we'd go awaaaayyy..."

Peter Schorn peterschorn at pdq.net
Wed Jul 16 21:37:09 PDT 2008

>The attitude is pervasive...even
> in a city that has
> 3 Universities (Abilene... but they are all *Christian*
> universities; with
> all of the built-in repression and intolerance that image
> invokes.)

Oh.  You mean, like Loyola, then?

I mean, it *is* run by Jesuits, after all.  And if you're talking about
enforcing doctrine and _propaganda fide_, the Reverend and his tent revival
ain't got nothin' on the smiling, rosy-faced Monsignors.

I know about Loyola because my father went there.  My father's Catholic.
Here's the kind of Catholic he is: upon reading a newspaper article in which
a committee of concerned citizens petitioned the local school board not to
observe Halloween on he grounds that it might "revive pagan practices among
the students" he calmly observed that while he couldn't speak for anybody
else, it had been a long time since anyone in *our* family prayed to rocks
or trees.

(OK, between us I think we've offended enough people to get up a good brawl.
When it starts, you grab the chickens off the spit, I'll tap the wine tun,
and we'll meet in the churchyard in ten.  *Go.*)