[Ansteorra] You mean Mel Brooks ISN'T a reliable source?

Peter Schorn peterschorn at pdq.net
Fri Jul 18 18:00:20 PDT 2008

Just for the record, I quoted that song because it was catchy and matched
the flippant tone of my post.  I *know* the Society of Jesus couldn't have
had anything to do with starting the Inquisition.

> The Spanish Inquisition was founded in 1478.  The Jesuits were founded at
> the University of Paris in 1534.  No, the Jesuits were not founders of the

> Inquisition.
>
> Is anybody else enjoying the irony?  This thread started with discussions
> of how some Christian groups misunderstand the SCA and make false
> statements.  We've come full circle, with SCA members misunderstanding
> some Christian groups and making false statements?

Both sides do seem to be insisting on their victimhood.  But then, it's the
Great American Pastime.

FWIW, I was taking Paul gently to task for asserting that Christian
Universities were somehow more narrowminded and oppressive than academia
generally.  I offered as an example my own father, who graduated from a
school taught by monks who understand Christian dogma better than just about
anybody (and what's more, cleave to it) yet who is quite happy with
Halloween, Christmas trees, and Harry Potter.

-Cadfan

"I have just heard an amusing story.  When I have finished laughing at it, I
will explain it to you--point by point."

--Peter Ustinov, _Ustinov's Diplomats_, "A Small Joke (The German Delegate)"