[Ansteorra] Another Urban Legend...was Re: The FBI File Legend

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 20:06:02 PDT 2008

At 11:28 AM 7/18/2008, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>Once upon a time, we had a Shire aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise.
>
>As the legend goes, on at least one occasion, the Captain requested that
>the group hold fighter practice on the deck rather than the hangar bay.
>Supposedly, fighter practice was timed to coincide with the normal
>overflight of the local Soviet spy satellite.

I'd not heard the spy satellite story before, but I *have* heard that
the SCA folks used to have fighter practice on deck when Russian
"fishing boats" just happened to be in the area.

>Apparently, subsequent intercepted Soviet communications chatter showed
>some distress: "They are not only ready to bomb us into the Stone
>Age...they are practicing to beat us there, too!"
>
>The Navy guys I know swear by that one because they all knew someone from
>the Shire on the Enterprise.

And then there's this story, copied from the Rialto:

"Once upon a time, Heinrich was a Petty Officer in the Navy. He was
assigned to a destroyer - a small, crowded ship where there isn't a
whole lot to do. So, for fun, he'd transcribe the  Letters column
from Penthouse into beautifully calligraphed Sindarin (Tolkien Elvish) using
blank secret message pads as calligraphy paper.

Then, when there was a Russian spy ship shadowing the destroyer, he
put his "artwork" into sealed bottles and throw them overboard. Of
course the Russian ship picked the messages up, but Heinrich never
did find out what they did with them."

         -Tivar Moondragon