[Ansteorra] World History In High School

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Sat Jul 19 07:35:02 PDT 2008

Lady Katrina wrote:

> Yep ... I remember having to take Texas History, World History, and World
> Geography ... not only in elem but in high school.  Does any one remember
> the school holiday we used to get for San Jacinto day anymore?

Of course.  San Jacinto Day is April 21.  Alamo Day is March 6.  Juneteenth
is June 19.  The Texas-OU football game is the third weekend of the State
Fair.  All are days to fly your Texas flag.

By the way, kids memorize dates, not because it's the most important aspect
of an event, but because it's the easiest to learn, and it *is* important.
It's just not enough by itself.  Suggesting that they don't need to learn
the dates is like suggesting they don't need to learn the multiplication
table "because they can just use a calculator".  In both cases, what we're
talking about is basic knowledge that will be used later to develop
critical thinking and a more complete understanding of the world.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin

Texas, our Texas, all hail the mighty state.
Texas, our Texas, so wonderful and great.
Boldest and grandest, withststanding every test,
O, empire wide and glorious, you stand supremely blessed,
God bless you, Texas, and keep you brave and strong,
That you may grow in power and worth throughout the ages long.