[Ansteorra] World History In High School

Isobel de Kirkbryde kirkbryde at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 19 16:20:39 PDT 2008

Okay, I'll bite and chime in here.  In high school I was supposed to learn names and dates, but they weren't tied to anything, so I did a brain dump once class was over.  I was an excellent student who would suck up any knowledge that was given to me.  But, high school failed me considerably.

Examples:
I didn't even know who Hitler was much less understand anything about WWII until I was a freshman in high school.
I didn't know that the Gettysburg address was given to dedicate a cemetery until I went there when I was 26 years old.  The tears flowed once I understood the HUGE significance of this speech.

History is meaningless unless it ties to what people did, how they lived, and why they made the choices they did.  The politics are a part of history,not all of history.  I recently took an American Literature class to 1860.  The literature explains a whole lot of how people thought.

Now, some things I did learn growing up in New Mexico.  The battle of Glorieta, NM happened at the same time as Gettysburg and Vicksburg.
New Mexico celebrates Cinco de Mayo on May 5.
On Good Friday all state and federal offices close before noon so everyone can attend services.

I'll stick in a P.S. here about the fact that we study and reenact history.  We don't just run around with names and dates.  We learn how they made furniture, clothing, food, jewelry, music, and much, much more.  This IS history!!

 Lady Isobel Margaret de Kirkbryde
Guild Head of the Guild of St. Camillus de Lellis, Kingdom of Ansteorra
Deputy Herald, Barony of Namron
V-Scribe Canton of Skorragarðr
Member of Clann Lochlan
Member of Clann Haddock