[Ansteorra] Myths of Steppes Artisan

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 23 08:17:28 PDT 2008

I posted something similar on the Laurel's list and
it was suggested I also post something to Ansteorra,
so here it is.

There is a lot of confusion and myths surrounding
Steppes Artisan. I'd like to play Snopes and give some
real answers on this.

First myth is that you have to be a member of the Steppes
to win. This is totally false. We've had Artisans from all
over the kingdom gain this honor.

Another myth is that the current Artisan needs to run it
next year. No. It is nice for the Artisan to show up and
help with judging and such. And to attend the Steppes
a couple of times as warrants a Champion. But there
is no requirement the Artisan must put on the event
next year.

There are questions about "body of work". Some people
feel this means you have to have a ton of stuff to
display if you want to enter. Not true. "Body of Work"
means that you get to show off all the stuff you do and
not limit it to one piece. If you only have one piece to
show, then you are welcome to. "Body of Work" also
means you can enter your early stuff to show how
you have learned and progressed over time.
Bring one piece or bring 50. We want to see what you have.

Artisan is not limited to non-Laurels. A member of the
Order of the Laurel is welcome to compete. If the Chivalry
can compete for Warlord and Dons can compete for
Champion, why should we restrict our Artisan to non-Peers?

The competition is a nice bridge between Laurel's Prize Tourney
and Kingdom A&S. It is a friendly and supportive environment
where your display will be honestly critiqued but there aren't
scorecards that can sometimes seem harsh. The past Artisans,
the Baroness and the Crown are the judges and the populace
gets to admire and comment on the work.
There are usually individual awards from each of the attending
past Artisans as well as the grand prize.

Steppes Artisan is one of only three events in Ansteorra that
is a stand alone A&S competition. All others are parts of
other events. Please travel from near and far and show what
you have to beautify Ansteorra and extend our knowledge.

Laurels, please bring your apprentices and enter your own
work as well. This is a celebration of the Arts!

I hope I've cleared up a few misconceptions.

Yers,

Count Gunthar, OL.