[Ansteorra] Steppes Moneyer's Guild presents royal gift

Duncan Hepburn duncan at stormypetrel.org
Mon Jul 28 20:00:12 PDT 2008

Stefan,

Yes, flans (interchangeably called planchets or blanks) are the blank
round pieces which become coins. The original penny this is based on is
silver, but we use pewter because it costs considerably less, and still
has a very similar appearance to silver. I buy the pewter in bulk, we
pour it into ingots, then roll the ingots into sheets, from which the
blank coins are cut.

Thanks for the pointers to coins in your Florilegium. I'll see what I
can do to dig up articles and class handouts for you.

Duncan