[Ansteorra] Crash Space Etiquette

Regan Caimbeul regan.caimbeul at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 09:19:39 PDT 2008

Good morning, my friends!

I saw this thread and this is a subject that hits pretty close to home for
me.  Some of you know me, many do not.  However, My Lord and I are
immigrants to Ansteorra from Far Away Lands (The Far West-Japan), and have
had much to say on the subject of "Crashing": being "Crashers" and a hosts,
many times each.  I have found that this can be a great way to make friends
and make your visitors and newcomers welcome.

I pretty much agree with all of the comments that have been brought up
regarding Crash Space Etiquette.

*Be gracious to your hosts/guests-treat eachother how you would like to be
treated.

*Communicate-especially when allergies or other potential issues could
arrise.  I have animals, and my house isn't that kid friendly.  I don't have
any children.  So, the kiddos would probably be bored at my house, unless
they like books or watching movies.

*Hosts-clean up the house and mind the pets, if you have any.

*I always keep a supply of Benedryl in the medicine chest, especially if
someone says they are allergic to animals, but still want to come over.  :)

*Help out where you can-but don't be pushy. (At least keep your area tidy if
the host refuses the help in other areas-some people feel awkward about
having guests help clean up stuff-I'm one of those weird people.  I feel
like a bad hostess or housekeeper if someone starts cleaning up for me,
where they haven't been.).  Offering to cook a meal, or taking them out to
dinner/breakfast is great!

*Gifts are wonderful ideas-for the host and guest.  Bring something that
symbolizes where you are coming from so that the person will remember their
visit when they see that gift. (When I went to Lochac, I gifted my hosts a
couple of fans that I found in Japan with finger looped braids in my
barony's colors, and in Lochac's colors.  My hosts in Guam gave me a set of
cool, stackable, wicker trinket boxes.  It doesn't need to be pricey, but
something with a little thought and feeling.)

All in all.. I haven't had a bad crash-space experience when it comes to
people in the SCA (mundanely-yes.. but that's another story.. not for the
list).

Honestly, my only gripe is that it SEEMS that crash space isn't offered up
very much around here, unless you already know someone where you are going.
I don't know if it would be something to think about to have a "Crash space
Coordinator" as part of the event staff.  I know sometimes it will fall on
the Hospitalers to help find space.  If I had the opportunity, I would
prefer crashing with someone to hotelling it at an event.  I enjoy having
people stay at my home (which is one of the reasons we chose the house we
did, so we could entertain comfortably).

So, on that note:  if you happen to be going to an event (or even for a
mundane reason) in Northern Steppes or Glaslyn and are looking for a place
to crash, please contact me.  The doors are open.  Just give us a couple
days notice.  ;-)

In Service,

Lady Regan Caimbeul
Steppes