[Ansteorra] Group Status Changes

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Wed Jul 16 22:00:23 PDT 2008

R the O wrote:

>  If the admin system doesn't work for an entire region of our
> Kingdom, isn't it better to change the rules than to dissolve the region?
>
>  The the current waterbearing system doesn't work under
> the current laws, isn't it better to change the rules than to
> dissolve the waterbearing?

That's exactly what they've done, in both cases.  Keep bearing water; stop
filling out officer reports.  Keep having guilds and practices and revels;
stop filling out officer reports.

>  What's next to be dissolved?

Any branch that won't file reports consistently, as has been true for the
history of the SCA.  This isn't the first time this has happened.

>  It seems like the framework that is supposed to support us has
> taken on a life of its own. It seems like the framework wants
> the populace to pander to it, instead of the other way around...

Pander to it how?  If you have a branch, play SCA and fill out monthly
local reports.  If you don't have a branch, play SCA and don't fill out
monthly reports.  They've said to pander to the framework *less*, not more.

> I think the rules are supposed to let us safely have fun. Were
> the people in the Western Region dangerously having fun?

I suspect so, but I haven't been able to look into it.  Under the current
SCA-wide rules, a kingdom can lose its status (and the SCA can lose its
tax-exempt status or its insurance) if we don't get the financial and
waiver reports in on time consistently.  I'm sure that if the branch
officers reported consistently, this wouldn't have happened.  (But as I
said, I haven't taken the time to find out what the exact issues were yet.)

>  Has anyone else noticed this trend, or am I just being weird?

You're not being weird; many people agree with you.  But I think you're not
actually analyzing the situation.  There is no activity except
report-writing and bookkeeping that those groups have been asked to stop
doing.

> If there were a good reason, I wouldn't neccesarily mind. But if
> there is a good reason that the general populace would agree
> with, why the secrecy?

This is a good question, and I don't know the answer.  I'll try to find
out.  But the unfair guesses about it that we've seen here won't help us
find out.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin