[Ansteorra] Group status changes

Samantha Smith sasmith0 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 12:10:39 PDT 2008

Regarding the religious concerns...

My quite religious grandmother was a little concerned about this "new cult
you seem to be joining". I had rehearsed my explanation to her: "It's
basically a historical society. People research what life was like from AD
600 to AD 1600 and try to figure out how people did things back then, like
spinning, weaving, embroidery, clothesmaking, pottery, metalsmithing. They
also research how they fought, and there's a lot of people who do the whole
'knights in shining armor' thing, researching martial arts from that same
era."

She went from rather dubious to quite pleased, and if she wasn't such a shy
homebody I think she might be joining me out here.

You can also, of course, say "You know those Civil War reenactors? Like
that, but we go back further."

Honestly, from my time in small-town Texas, I've found a lot of closed
minds. I'd be surprised to find large groups of people who thought a
historical reenactment society was Evil. Weird, yes. Not generally evil.

YMM(and obviously does)V.

Sophie