[Ansteorra] "We know you're wishin' that we'd go awaaaayyy..."

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Fri Jul 18 06:51:14 PDT 2008

> Oh, really!?!  And here all this time I thought the Jesuits were the
> 'Founding Fathers' of the Inquisitions with the Benedictines not too far
> behind.  They did some real damage in Japan, too, but that was out of
> period.

The Spanish Inquisition was founded in 1478.  The Jesuits were founded at
the University of Paris in 1534.  No, the Jesuits were not founders of the
Inquisition.

Is anybody else enjoying the irony?  This thread started with discussions
of how some Christian groups misunderstand the SCA and make false
statements.  We've come full circle, with SCA members misunderstanding some
Christian groups and making false statements?

I don't mean to pick on anyone in specific. We all fall into it sometimes.
Maybe when we see our own mistakes in that direction, we can be more
patient towards the people making the same kinds of mistakes about us.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin

"The brotherhood of man is no mere poet's fancy.  It is a most depressing
and humiliating reality."
          -- Oscar Wilde