[Ansteorra] World History in High School

Virginia Lively vdlively at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 18 15:22:13 PDT 2008

"The teaching of history seems to concern itself with little
> more than wars
> and political events."

There are five main areas of study in Social Studies in Texas - History, Geography, Economics and Culture, Politics and Government and Critical Thinking Skills.  All should be emphasised in the classroom.  We teach more that "just history" or dates, but instead try to connect the relevance to the times in terms of what was going on in the world then and how it affects us today.

Both World History (10th grade) and World Geography (9th grade) are survey classes - they are history as they relate to the United States due to the fact that we cover over 2,000 years and all continents in 182 days in World History, and a brief history of all continents in World Geography as well as current events for each part of the world.

If students wish to take more complete classes, most schools in Texas offer AP World History, AP European History and pre-AP World Geography - these are not survey classes and are much more detailed than the regular courses.

If anyone is interested in the content of what is taught in the current Social Studies classroom in Texas today, the TEA website offers the required elements for the course.

Mistress Rhiannon (the Middle Eastern One)