[Ansteorra] Steppes Moneyer's Guild presents royal gift

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jul 28 14:31:27 PDT 2008

Duncan,

You said: "The flans are 3/4 inch 95/5 pewter." What's a "flan"? Is
that the coin blank? If so, I thought you said there were silver
pennies, but here you are talking about pewter. If these are not the
blanks and you used some sort of silver, where did you get it? Even
if you are stamping from pewter, where did you find it in sheet form?
Or did you pour/roll your own?

For those interested in more information on coining and the history
of period coins, there are also these files in the COMMERCE section
of the Florilegium:
coins-msg        (132K)  1/10/08    Period coins, making coins.
p-Engsh-coins-lst (17K)  6/25/99    A list of period English coins
                                        by Kestrel of Wales.

I still remember at my first big SCA event, an Estrella War about 18
years ago one of the Crowns presented to the other Crowns sets of
dies that they could use to stamp their own coins. I thought that was
very neat and considered getting into coining. However, with my poor
eyesight I decided the fine detail work of punching the dies would be
too difficult, so I went into pewter casting instead.

I know that there has been at least one article in TI over the years
about coin stamping, but if anyone, in the Moneyers Guild or not, has
written or would like to write an article on coin making, I'd love to
have it for the Florilegium.

Stefan