[Ansteorra] Interessant Artikal im Tagenblatt

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 20:49:45 PDT 2008

Suddenly I'm getting an image of "Waterloo" blaring through outer space
while countless satellites shaped like IKEA stores float by.

Not that any of that is PERIOD, of course...LOL (neither are
spaceships.....or ...???).  I finally saw Mamma Mia this afternoon, and I'm
still gushing.  (Detlef = hopeless ABBA fan from the 70's) Maybe "The
Seventh Seal" will provide the proper antidote ;-)

It's an interesting confusion........linguistically, German is much closer
to English than it is to Swedish.  I guess the "Z" saves you, Your Royal
Highness....as does the loss of any cognates of "Gunthar" as a given name in
English.

It's late......I'm babbling.  I'll save my reactions to Ansteorra finally
being graced with an English Queen Elizabeth sometime later...

DT+LF

On 7/31/08, April Page <alpage1225 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Um, Gunthar is Swedish, not German.
> HRH Elizabeth (who is definitely English)

Hwæt! We Gardena         in geardagum,
þeodcyninga,         þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas         ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing         sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum,         meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas.         Syððan ærest wearð
feasceaft funden,         he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum,         weorðmyndum þah,
oðþæt him æghwylc         þara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade         hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan.         þæt wæs god cyning!

Beowulf, 1-11