[Ansteorra] dress for King's College?

Kevin Wilson kevwilson at swbell.net
Fri Jun 13 14:17:42 PDT 2008

>And if you're taking any fighting class, we'd like to recommend armour.

>Sometimes you have to state the obvious.... ;)

>Morgan

Actually, Morgan, that isn't correct.  If the class is for Historical Combat, then only whatever gear/equipment/garb that the instructor requires is needed.  This isn't just for rapier, but for longsword and other stuff as well.  In a class that is just working on footwork, movement, etc., where there isn't going to be full-speed, full contact 'free-play" or "sparring", but just drills done at slower speeds, there isn't a need for full armor. The Cut & Thrust class does not require full rapier armor, much less the additional equipment required to fight C&T, because we won't be actually fighting C&T.  For Brian Price's longsword and PoleAxe classes, he says gambesons are recommended but not required, and other than that, only hand and head protection is required, but not full SCA heavy fighting armor.

Yes, there are rules set for this, I'm not just making stuff up.  Currently we don't have the rules ratified for the Kingdom, we are defaulting to the Society rules, which can be found at http://www.sca.org/officers/arts/AandS_martial_public_proposal.pdf.

Hopefully this will help some with the heat this weekend. :)

Ld. Corvin di Fenarro