[Ansteorra] Proposed change in waterbearing

Cisco Cividanes engtrktwo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 05:57:12 PDT 2008

I got a reply from the BOD comment's line, and I thought I would pass it on.

My origional question:

 perhaps I am overestimating the power of a written document, but still,
 I feel compelled to ask this.
 Is the issue of liability and waterbearing so great that it can not be
 addressed with an addition to the existing waiver language?

The answer as I got it.

Nope.  But..waterbearing can and will still exist.  People can still do it
but just as individuals providing help, not as an warrented waterbearing
officer in the SCA.  Service oriented people can walk about and offer
water to fighters. A group can put out jugs of water for fighters to self
serve.

Also... someone else posted this to the list earlier and I wanted to echo
their comment because I thought it was important.

As I recall, country health codes, and their enforcing inspectors have some
rather broad powers, and not always a lot of say on when to use them.
Anything that gives both sides of that equation  (the SCA and the local
health inspector) more room to avoid conflict is a boon in my honest
opinion.

And last...
I certainty understand the concern for properly recognizing those who work
their butts off to get us water and refreshments. And yes, this will most
likely change some of the dynamics that presently exist in our kingdom when
it comes to recognizing these people.

However, I can tell you, without hesitation, that a person's status as a
warranted officer, guild member,  apprentice, master, peer,
newcomer...whatever... is totally irrelevant to me when I am standing next
to the list field in 100 degree heat on a sunny day.

They have water...and I am grateful for the fact that they have volunteered
to take time out of their day to bring it to me.

And just like any other service, their are ways to make sure outstanding
individuals get recognized.

Lord Ivo Blackhawk
Herald at large
Province of Mooneschadowe