[Ansteorra] Ansteorra Digest, Vol 26, Issue 51

Joe McGrew oscagne at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 16:05:26 PDT 2008

> <shrug> The waiver already says that we're doing this voluntarily and
> if we get hurt it's not the SCA's fault. What more do you want?

> >Putting the membership at risk is not a proper response

> How is this putting the membership at risk? There's nothing that says
> people can't bring their own water (which they *should* be doing
> anyway) and nothing that says Household X or The Generic
> Waterbearer's Guild can't take over for the Waterbearer's Office and
> hand out water. All it does is withdraw any *official* SCA sponsorship.

>         -Tivar Moondragon

Less availability of water = more risk of heat related casualty -
especially, as you noted elsewhere, at melees.

There's really only one more thing that sits wrong with me about this:
 The SCA would be taking this action to remove liability from itself
for the activity of waterbearing - but not removing the activity.
It's been said that operation could continue just as before, simply
having a guild or something do it without official sanction.  Since
the activity is still there the liability won't have been removed - it
will have been transferred to those gracious private volunteers.  "I
want to commend our great waterbearing guild today.  For your
outstanding efforts we give you our thanks and admiration... oh, and a
great heaping helping of liability."

Not that I think there's enough liability here that we need to change
anything.  Has anyone even threatened action related to waterbearing
duties or are we fixing something that isn't broken?

So, (and of course IANAL) if the activity is continuing just as before
and not being prohibited, there's very little difference between that
and official sanction.  Couldn't the SCA be sued just as easily for
allowing it to go on at sanctioned events?  A lawyer that would sue as
things stand now would probably also sue under the new rules.

Anyway, all I wanted to happen is to put in my two cents and encourage
folks to use that suggestion email address to send a comment to the
BOD.  I hope everyone who's posted about this here copied the BOD.

Gregor MacBeathain