[Ansteorra] To waterbear, or not to waterbear . . . the long version.

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 19:36:58 PDT 2008

At 06:58 PM 6/18/2008, you wrote:

(snip)

>There's also the problem that no matter what disclaimers, procedures
>and what not we put on any piece of paper, we can STILL be sued.
>Look at the incident in Pennsylvania. From what I know about it, a
>child or two was molested at the event by someone who's not even in
>the SCA, but the company got sued anyway.

I'm afraid that's completely inaccurate. I don't know if the predator
was an SCA member or not (I'd guess he was) but he spent a couple of
years in the SCA, primarily doing Children's Activities and gaining
everybody's trust. He eventually set up a non-SCA "Pages School" and
started having meetings at his house. Overnight. With no other adults
present. That's when the abuse happened.

*Two*years*later* one of the mothers decided to sue the SCA, so now
we're having to pay lawyers and do background checks.

>  Again, the waiver just doesn't seem to be worth the paper it's
> printed on. Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure looks that way.
>
>So I propose, if the BoD wants to make sure we don't get sued, that
>we disband the corporation immediately and that we just go back to
>our roots and become "that weird group of people swinging sticks at
>each other in the park."

Uh-huh, and that's where we'd stay, because most sites wouldn't be
willing to rent their space to some random group of weirdos swinging
sticks. Having a corporation behind us, with its own liability
insurance puts us into the category of "eccentric" rather than "weirdo."

         -Tivar Moondragon